- Communicate in the second language
- Acquire the same English language arts skills as students in English-only programs
- Master subject content areas
- Acquire a greater understanding, knowledge and appreciation of other cultures
Note: Because of the advancing skill level, entrance is most successful in kindergarten.
- What is Normandale Elementary French Immersion School?
- How many students attend Normandale?
- How does the program differ from the other elementary schools in Edina?
- How do kindergarteners learn in French?
- When do children learn English at Normandale?
- Will English language arts skills be delayed?
- How do I provide support at home if I do not speak French?
- Is academic achievement assessed in French or in English?
- Is French immersion appropriate for all children?
- What happens after fifth grade?
- What if I am not an Edina resident?
- How do I enroll my child in the French immersion program?
Each winter, families are recruited to host French Interns for the next school year. Hosting French Interns plays an integral role in the success of our Edina French Immersion program. Without French Interns, we could not sustain our position as the top immersion program in the state.
To continue this momentum, we aim to meet our ideal allocation of Interns across all schools: here at Normandale, along with supporting the Extended French program at Valley View and Edina High School.
Please consider hosting and/or spreading the word about this opportunity to neighbors, family and friends. To find out more about the French Intern program and how you can host, visit the Intern Program page hosted by the Normandale PTO.